It’s time for carpet cleaning in your home to go the green way. Even though you’re consistent in your efforts to spot clean it, it comes a time when it’s just not enough. One day you turn around and take a closer look at the floor only to realize that your home carpet is a few shades darker than when you bought it. Another possible scenario is that one day you spill a cup of black coffee. Hastily you start blotting and then cleaning the area, only to see that the cleaned area is much lighter than the rest.
But if you live in London, it’s good to know that sometimes even the best carpet cleaning Ealing company can’t handle it.
Alternative Green Method For Carpet Cleaning
In such cases you know it’s high time to deep clean the carpet. But before you go to the grocery store to rent a steam cleaner or hire a professional carpet cleaning company, consider doing it the green way. No matter if you’re going to do the job or call a contractor, use only green materials.
Here is how I do it:
First I get all the materials required for cleaning:
- White vinegar
Then I rent the equipment:
- Steam cleaner
- Vacuum cleaner
- Bristled brush
The deep carpet cleaning process in a nutshell:
- Whenever you clean a fabric surface start with a thorough vacuum cleaning. The same goes for carpets. Go in three different directions and do it slowly and methodically. Hover all the dust, hairs and loose particles.
- Now it’s time to treat high traffic areas, deep stains and any area of particular concern. Combine ¼ cup of borax, ¼ cup of salt and ¼ cup of vinegar. Use this paste onto tough stains or heavily soiled carpeted areas. Vacuum up the spots after a few hours.
- You may ask why on Earth will we need a steam cleaner? Well, there a few (limited) options to deep clean your carpet. Actually there are only three, max four. The one is a dry process, which uses almost to no water. That is great, but dry chemicals are applied to bond and extract dirt. This makes this approach not remotely green. Of the others methods that involve some use of water the best according to lots of reviews and professional opinions is the steam carpet cleaning. With this process chemicals are optional. Always try to rent a new machine. Otherwise you will have to clean it before you can use it on your carpets.
- Completely skip the use of chemicals – shampoos or other additives can be totally ignored. Lots of people report that using only hot water provides a true deep clean for their homes. So, just make sure you fill the machine with really hot water.
- If you face the uphill battle with extremely soiled carpet add a cup of vinegar to every 2.5 gallons of water. Vinegar will dissolve dirt and soil and kill bacteria and germs as well.
- If you have the opportunity repeat the cleaning process. After all, you rented the machine for a whole day. Take advantage of it.
- Let your carpet dry completely before you move furniture back. Place foil pads under furniture legs and contact points with the carpet just in case.
- Dispose of the dirty water in a responsible way.
I hope that next time when it comes to carpet cleaning you’ll be able to implement my plan. It’s a lot better to be able to handle things alone, the way you want them done.